A Furniture Cover Buying GuideHere is a complete guide to help you choose the right patio furniture cover.
Reasons to Get Furniture CoversLet’s get straight to the point. The reason that you hesitate to get outdoor furniture covers, is because they may increase the upfront cost. But in the long run, it will be worth it.
Canadian weather is famous for its inconsistency. As Dave Philips, a senior climatologist of Environment Canada recently said about the current weather condition,
“One day looks pretty good, summery-like and then you’re back into day later that’s kind of miserable.”
All-weather wicker and teak are designed to withstand all types of weather conditions, but that does not make them invulnerable to water, dirt and temperature changes. Extreme fluctuations can cause them to break down or lead to mildew growth.
A cover is one of the best ways to protect your patio furniture from sun damage. As winter ends, grime and mildew are the first things you have to deal with during spring cleaning. The cover of your patio furniture helps reduce the impact of the ups and downs in temperature, but more importantly, it reduces the grime and mould that gathers around the furniture over time.
Different Types of Cover MaterialJust like your outdoor furniture set, the covers for your patio furniture come in a wide variety of materials with each having its own features. When you are choosing patio furnishing, it will be beneficial to learn about the benefits of these products.
Here’s a list of common options in fabric:
This is a water-resistant material, perfect against mildew. You can also provide UV protection to your patio furniture with this material. Of course, among the brands, some may offer more durable products than the others.
Another water-resistant and UV light blocking option that you can choose for covering your patio furniture.
While choosing canvas, make sure that it is made to resist mould, mildew and provide UV protection, since not all materials are made alike. A material, which has all these attributes, will usually be durable and machine washable.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Furniture CoversWhen you are purchasing the best patio furniture in Toronto, it is your responsibility to maintain the beauty and longevity of that product. Below are the factors mentioned that can help you get the best cover for your patio furniture.
1. DimensionsThe advantage of protecting your beautiful patio additions with coordinating furniture cover assures that they fit the furniture perfectly, and that includes the bulkier pieces such as the chaise lounges and the sofas.
But if you want a cover for your pre-existing patio furniture set, then knowing some details about the different types, like seating, dining, tables and umbrellas will be helpful.
However, the measurement process for each type of patio furniture is slightly different.
- Measuring Seating: To measure the width of the seating arrangements, you need to measure the entire right-to-left distance across the width of the surface, including the arms.
- Measuring Tables: For width, measure from right-to-left from the opposite edges of the table top.
- Measuring Umbrellas: This is the easiest product to measure; just calculate the distance from the top to the ground.
2. WaterproofingWater-resistance is a major quality to look for in an outdoor furniture cover. In this department, vinyl patio furniture cover is a good option. This material lets water roll off the cover without letting it contact the furniture underneath. Along with that, it also provides protection against dust and dirt, that often leaves ugly marks on your clothes when you sit on the furniture.
When looking for a water-resistant cover, make sure it does not trap the moisture within as that could potentially lead to fungi growth.
3. BreathabilitySome added ventilation on your patio furniture cover is always a good choice. A thick material like vinyl is great for waterproofing, but without enough breathability, moisture can get trapped inside the fabric, as mentioned above.
When getting breathable fabric, make sure they are waterproof as well. If it came down to choosing one of the two factors, waterproofing is more important than breathability.
4. SoftnessThe inside of a furniture cover is never the same as the outside. While the outside of the cover guarantees protection from the elements, the inside is meant to protect from any mould growth and scratches.
A material made of soft clothing ensures that the wicker of the furniture does not come off when you remove the cover. Also, a rougher material may damage the varnish or scratch the surface of the aluminum, which can be avoided with a soft cloth backing.
5. Reinforced SeamsIf you want patio furniture covers that last just as long as your patio investments, choose covers with double-stitched seam reinforcement as they provide a better safeguard against any type of tearing and ripping.
6. FasteningThe last feature to check for in your outdoor furniture cover is the fastening methods to make sure the fit is perfect. These covers usually come with various methods to ensure that they do not slip off or get blown away. The most common tie-down options include:
- Tie Downs
- Plastic Edging
Although an optional feature, it prevents the patio furniture cover from being blown away in the wind or storm. Drawstrings are used for the tightest fitting, while leg ties keep the cover stuck to your furniture.
You need to cover your patio furniture in all seasons when you live in Toronto. Outdoor furniture replacement can cost a lot and with proper covering, you can easily prolong their lifespan.